What you need:
- 1 – 4oz. package of dried elderberries (Sambucus nigra)
- 5 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 Tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup honey-local wild flower if poss.
- First put 1/2 cup of dried elderberries into the small saucepan. Add the 5 cloves, cinnamon stick, 1 Tablespoon grated ginger, and 2 cups of water. for my husband who loves spicy things, I add 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper for the sweet/ sour/ spicy combo.
- Cover and bring the water to a boil.
- Turn down the heat, leave covered, and simmer until the liquid is reduced by 1/2. This usually takes 20-30 minutes.
- Strain into a bowl and add 1 cup of honey.
- --at this point, you have a great syrup for sat morning pancakes, will last about 2 weeks in fridge--
- add about 1 cup of water and 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice to the syrup. take a taste and modify to your taste-the more water you add, the milder the taste is.
- Next all you need to do is FREEZE!! I have a Popsicle making tray that I use and it holds the stick in place.
- So amazing for summertime!! Enjoy!